Utensils are a crucial part of every kitchen irrespective of whether it is a commercial or residential setting. These tools need maintenance to increase their lifespan and effectiveness when cooking. Taking care of these tools does not require any professional training and thus can be done by anyone. The following are basic maintenance tips for kitchen utensils.
- Sharpen the knives often. Having a good a complete set of knives is ideal, but they get more useful when they have the right sharpness. A sharp knife makes the cooking exercise fast and enjoyable as one chops vegetables easily without applying excessive energy. Blunt objects can be hard to use and also cause accidents in extreme cases.
- Oil the wooden tools. Some of the most common utensils made of wood include sugar pots, stirring sticks and spoons just to mention a few. Some pots and pans also come with wooden handles which sometimes come into direct contact with water. Such utensils are prone to rot and other damages if proper care is not instituted. Applying products such as walnut oil to the wooden tools ensures they last longer.
- Scrub the utensils made of stainless steel. The advantage of using a stainless steel appliance is that it does not catch rust or stains quickly. Dirt can, however, accumulate on the utensil which reduces its efficiency when cooking. When food gets stuck on these appliances, it becomes hard to remove using bare hands as one needs to soak them in soapy water for at least one hour. Purchase a good detergent or powder and use it together with a scrub to give the pots a decent look.
- Store the appliances safely. The place and mode of storage of the kitchen tools has a direct relationship with their lifespan. One should ensure that he has safe cabinets to store these tools out of reach of kids or pet’s interference. Ensuring you have special cabinets for every tool makes it easy to trace each utensil during the cooking process and makes it fast.
- Use the right tool for every occasion. Manufacturers offer different tools to cater for diverse needs in any setting. For example, a set of knives comes with a serrated and a chef’s knives that satisfy perform different functions. Use the serrated knife for cutting bread so as to make it more durable. One should use the oven for heating as the manufacturer recommends.
Taking care of kitchen tools ensures they are more efficient and also long lasting. Learn about the tips of selecting the best meat slicers via this site and also get a complete maintenance guide to make your tools more durable.