Dental crowns are the tooth shaped caps which are placed over the tooth to restore its shape, size, color and strength. It helps in improvement of its appearance. You can consult with the experts who perform Marylebone dental practice to check the condition of your tooth for dental crown.
Need of the dental crown
There are various reasons which necessitate dental crown for better smile. Some of them are as follows:
- To protect the weak tooth from getting more damaged
- To support and cover the tooth in which lot of filing is done when there was less tooth left
- Dental implants can be covered with dental crowns
- It is the best way of cosmetic modification
- It helps in restoration of the half broken teeth and prevents it from further breaking
- Dental bridge can be held at the place by using the dental crown.
Different types of dental crown
Dental crowns can be temporary or permanent. The temporary kind of dental crowns are needed to be replaced with a new one after some time and these can be prepared in the office of dentist. They are for temporary restoration of the tooth. Permanent dental crowns are forever and do not require replacements until you want to get them changed or somehow they start giving you trouble.
There are several types of permanent dental crowns which you can select according to your budget:
- Stainless steel crown: This type of crown primarily fits for the children. Steel crown covers the decayed tooth and prevents it from further decay. This is the prefabricated crown which is required to be simply placed over the decayed tooth as a temporary preventive measure.
- Metallic crown: This is the type of crown which uses metal alloys to make the crown over the missing teeth. Gold alloy or base metal alloy like nickel or chromium is used for making this type of alloy. This type of crown is highly durable and can withstand chewing and biting forces.
- All resin dental crown: This is the least expensive kind of dental crown but the drawback of this type of crown is that it wears out in a short span of time and it poses a high risk to the crown and can result in fracture.
- Porcelain crown: This is the crown type which is ideal for the people who have any kind of allergies to the metallic crowns. It also helps in providing color match with the natural appearance of the teeth.
- Zirconia or milled crown: these are the digital crowns which are prepared by using the advanced technology of CAD/CAM. No impressions are required for this type of crown.
You should check out the pros and cons of different types of dental crowns before selecting one for you.